Crisp, golden-crusted and hot-off-the-skillet… Could it get any better than classic fried green tomatoes? Dipped in Mama Francesca Classic Parmesan, this tangy and delicious seasonal favorite will delight.
Suggestion: Using a cast-iron pan can really add flavor! (But any heavy-bottom skillet will do.)
½ cup Buttermilk
½ cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp. Cornmeal
? cup Mama Francesca Classic Parmesan
3 Medium-Sized Green Tomatoes, cut into ½-inch discs
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1. Combine egg and buttermilk; set aside.
2. Combine half of the all-purpose flour with the cornmeal and Mama Francesca Classic Parmesan in a shallow bowl or pan.
3. Dredge the tomato slices in the remaining ¼ cup of flour, then dip them in the egg mixture and dredge them in the parmesan and cornmeal.
4. Pour vegetable oil to the depth of a ½ inch into a large cast-iron skillet and heat on high heat.
5. When the oil is hot, drop the tomatoes in batches into the hot oil and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.